Timeline

timeline

886 – 921

A chapel in Atherstone, owned by Coelwulf who later became King of Mercia. All land South of the Humber was in English hands

1066

Lady Godiva owned the land

1086
Owned by Abbey of Bec-Hellain, a Benedictine Order from Bec in Normandy

1349 -1406

An Augustinian Friary, and English Roman Catholic Order

1455 -1487

Wars of the Roses.  There is strong evidence to suggest Henry Tudor, Earl of Richmond received communion at the High Altar.

1485

Battle of Bosworth

1461- 1536

Owned by Carthusian Monks of Montgrace, Yorkshire

1536

Dissolution of the Monasteries by Henry VIII. Friars departed from their home in Market Place

1573

Grammar School

1820

St Mary’s became a separate church but still under control of Mancetter

1841

St Mary’s first Vicar appointed

1848 - 1861
Building of new Nave commenced

1848

Florence Nightingale visited the Bracebridge family in Atherstone

1896

East Window constructed by Kemp

1916 – 1952

1st HMS Atherstone war ship in service

1924

West Window constructed By public subscription to honour fallen soldiers

1939 – 1957

2nd HMS Atherstone in service.

1968 - 1970

Lucy Chapel constructed and Henry Jones Organ installed

1985

Opening of the Festival Lounge by HRH Prince Charles and HRH Princess Diana

1986 - 2017

The 3rd and last HMS Atherstone in service

2017

Commencement of greater use in the community and refurbishment from Heritage Lottery funding