St Mary’s - A Modern Centre of the Community
1900 - today
Atherstonians have made St Mary’s a very
personal place for the community. A place to remember people and events that
are important to them.
Atherstone’s convent, St Scholastica’s, closed in 1968. The nuns gave their altar and glass sanctuary light to St Mary’s Lucy Chapel. The chapel’s window was a gift from the Cranstoun family in memory of their mother.
Atherstone fizzed with excitement in 1985 when Charles and Diana, the Prince and Princess of Wales, visited St Mary’s. Charles and Diana opened the Festival Lounge, a new community area built by young people. A plaque on the wall remembers their visit.
By 2000 the church was leaking
badly and needing repair. In 2017
the Heritage Lottery Fund agreed to help St Mary’s update the ancient site.
St Mary’s is looking forward to the next hundred years as a living hub
for today’s multicultural community.